Thursday, 1 April 2010


This reminds of the Elizabethan England 17th Century. Not that I have ever been there, but hey, somewhat!

Just got back from my very first presentation in NUS:) It went well!:)

To Andrea and Marcus, quote classmates, "SPOIL MARKET!":)

This was our thesis:


Besides the purpose of literary and theatrical entertainment, a deeper examination of William Shakespeare’s A Midsommer Night’s Dream (AMND) reveals much more. With one of the time’s prominent literary writers using English language in such an intriguing manner (there are nuances between the use of language between all five groups of characters in the play!), this highlighted a phenomenon in which English language is used differently by characters placed in distinct contexts. Furthermore, the use of language in this play was just a literary representation of reality. Shakespeare’s plays were performed for masses either in set stages in the towns or as a luxury entertainment at the Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre. In order for viewers to identify with the plot and fully comprehend the nuanced relationships going on in the play, the application of conventional language by Shakespeare was therefore an imperative. Therefore, what was happening in England in this period was most probably reflected by Shakespeare’s adaptation of conventional language for his different groups of characters in the play.

We thus posit that AMND can in fact be seen as a picture of language change on various levels, capturing and highlighting the dynamism of English language. The motivations for variations within the language come from two threads. The first comes from a synchronic, snapshot picture of Early Modern English use during Shakespeare's time. Language use between clearly demarcated groups of characters is distinct from one other. For example, there is an awareness of synchronic variation in language dictated by class/ literacy and age (as represented by the difference between the older aristocracy and the young lovers/mechanicals.) Interestingly, on another level, it is also possible to view AMND as data for language change on a diachronic level -- change through history and time, represented by the differences between the lexis of the older aristocracy and the fairies. The examination of grammaticalisation also serves the same purpose of highlighting language change. It is through these dual threads, that the full dynamism of the English language is explored.


English is amazing. History is too:)

I thank God for bringing me on the right path, even though I was nearly sightless at the beginning. Everytime I do something which is so challenging, even though its hard and im stressed, but in a way im glad I AM being challenged. It was the academic rigour we were after all, like how Annabelle and I always console each other.

Today was our first blast of publicity for WMYC too. Gosh, I've been working on it for I-don't-know-how-long? But finally its out. Second blast on Monday. Gonna work on it and the timeline for the next few months over the weekend.

PAPER THREE!! im thinking of Mannequins now, need to flesh out an interesting argument first though.:x Presentation next friday!

Pop culture project! Theatre in Singapore: Good thesis but i've yet to start on it, oh dear.

Nation-Building Test! I have nothing to say about this really. haha. I guess its one of my least worries!

After this, its one more test, then THREE exams:)